What's happening at Brighton

Race Meeting Report - August 7th

Wed, Aug 7, 2013

The Brighton Festival meeting began with a dry and breezy day, and going officially described as good to firm. The eight-race programme was notable for doubles for jockeys Neil Callan and Silvestre De Sousa.

A five furlongs nursery opened proceedings. Ridden by Neil Callan, Umneyati (9/4 fav) took the lead two out and scored cosily by a length from Weisse Socken, who was denied a run at a critical moment. James Tate trained the winner.

In the second race, another for two year olds, the 8/11 favourite Anglophile hit the front two out under Mickael Barzalona, and looked quite impressive in the last of the seven furlongs, extending his lead over the front-running Opera Fan to 2¼ lengths. This was a first winner at Brighton for Godolphin's new trainer Charlie Appleby.

Next came a seller over a mile and a half. From the John Ryan yard, Anginola (7/2) had won three times before in better class races and she could be called the winner here some way out. Others led on sufferance until a furlong and a half out, where she was sent on by Neil Callan to beat Orla's Rainbow by 3¼ lengths. There was no bid for the winner.

Our biggest race of the year, the John Smith's Brighton Mile Challenge Trophy, was a very competitive handicap. The two 11/2 joint favourites fought out the finish, with Mark Johnston's northern raider Party Royal, ridden by Silvestre De Sousa, coming out on top by a neck from the running-on Bank On Me. Aqua Ardens followed that one through to finish third. Lunar Deity had made most of the running and plugged on well to be fourth.

The fifth race, over seven furlongs, looked like a decent fillies' handicap for the grade. It proved to be the fourth Newmarket-trained winner of the day, with William Haggas's Floating Along (11/4 joint fav) prevailing by a head. She broke smartly, disputed the running and was sent on by champion jockey Richard Hughes in the last quarter-mile. Though Maid A Million ran on well in the last half furlong, the winner was holding her when the post came.

The first of a pair of mile and a quarter handicaps brought success for Epsom trainer Simon Dow. His Dawn Rock (9/2) made all the running with Silvestre De Sousa. They did no favours to the hooded grey that challenged on the far rail, Another Squeeze, who was severely impeded near the finish. Ultimately Ella Motiva finished a two-lengths second.

A little respite for the bookies came with the 8/1 victory of Thewinningmachine in the other mile and a quarter handicap. Jo Hughes's seven-race maiden has not so far lived up to her name. She ran in second place until taking the lead two out and going over to the far rail. Visibly tiring, three others swamped her as they passed the post, but Pat Cosgrave had done enough to keep them in front. The winning margin was a nose.

The final race was over six furlongs. High Tone looked to have seen off her rivals by going clear inside the last two furlongs only for Koharu (4/1), who had been under pressure from halfway, to emerge from the pack. It was immediately obvious that Koharu was going to sail past and she did so, leading well inside the last hundred yards and winning comfortably by three quarters of a length. Peter Makin and Declan Bates were the successful trainer and jockey.

« Back to news

Jim Beavis